KOW, tricksters, Lokarnos

From: Carlson, Pam <carlsonp_at_wdni.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 95 15:36:00 PST

On the sidelines of this one, I noticed Mark's final point:

>The KoW should frighten the crap out of players not simply
because their armies are cruel and vicious and really, really dangerous, a threat to the players' way of life from within and without, but because somewhere in their secret heart of hearts _they_wanna_join_up_.

Exquisite point. It shows the value of both POV's, and adds wonderful roleplaying opportunities.

Peter Michaels on Kazkurtum as Trickster:

>First, in the Fright aspect section of the Trickster writeup, an
incarnation
is mentioned who begins a reign of terror in Peloria.

Persuasive.

>Next, look at what Kaz does (according to The Fortunate Succession). He
makes the Dara Happan people do "unnatural things," such as eat mushrooms, have pleasurable sex, enjoy being artistic, scorn leaders, and shamelessly run around naked.

Also persuasive.

>(OK, sure, some of the stuff he did was more harmful, like making some
people
hate children, seek cruelty, kill relatives, and reject the gods.

I saw this as something people were inclined to do anyway - Kaz was just a convienient cause - a way to shift the blame from their supposedly spotless natures.

>Lastly, FS states that, "The Power of the Empty Emperor is that there is No
Center." That DEFINITELY sounds like Trickster to me!

I'd always considered the phrase "Empty Emperor" to mean a shamanistic (Jenarong) one - one who lacked the Anitrius/deist portion. But I have been confused about how Yelm could have a Kazkurtum part. Kaz as Trickster seems a plausible explanation.

>IMO there are three culturally important incarnations of Trickster in Dara
Happa. Kaz embodies the Fright, Dismembered, and Destroyer aspects. Umatum is the Murderer. Rankenveg is the Seducer and Sexual Insatiate.

I doubt the concept is as organized as that. My guess is that different locales have different tricksters. I'd always thought of Rakenveg as Thief, (picturing him as a raven - which steal things), but I haven't read much to refute your theories.

LOKARNOS Has anyone noticed the Lokarnos tale in the new GRoY? L is crushed by a wagon full of gold and crippled.
Lokarnos - god of wheeled vehicles, crippled. Mastakos - god of wheeled vehicles, crippled. I don't remember - are they the same planet/star?

Pam