flames and walls

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 13:59:29 +1300

Staffan Tj.

>I currently have a good candidate in my campaign for a Prince of Sartar,
>who has gotten it into his head that he wants to pursue a heroquest to
>gain the Sartar ability to create walls. (OK, so he has communed already
>with the flame).

>Now my ideas at the moment is that Sartar raised the walls of the walled
>towns in Dragon Pass by tapping into the power of the population and then
>raising them from the very earth. I say this based upon a hazy (or Hazia?)
>recollection from various passages in KoS.

Sartar actually had help from the Dwarves. Your proto-hero is welcome to approach Isidilian the Wise, the _Dwarf_ of Dragon Pass, for the secret of Lego (or whatever the power used). I strongly suspect Isidilian would make the proto-hero to undertake twelve quests before he will divulge the secret (he is afterall the epitome of the Openhandist Heresy, not the Emptyhanded Heresy).

Martin Crim:

>>I don't think the flame will extinguish naturally (or via the extinguish
>>spell). I'd put it in a lamp or a candle and feed it with fuel. If
>>starved of fuel, it will diminish.

Martin:

>I have to disagree. If it's not extinguishable naturally or through the
>Extinguish spell, it's basically invulnerable (unless you want to say it's
>vulnerable to Smother or that buckets of water are not "natural.") Lodril
>allied spirits should be exactly analogous to the animal allies of other
>cults: long-lived, but vulnerable to physical destruction.

What I meant was that if it did not feed regularly on fuel, it will starve and die out (like a normal animal does). I view it as requiring the same amount of 'fuel' as an equivalent animal its size although I think the priest would be able to feed it extra fuel, if he wants a big (intelligent) flame.

Casting an Extinguish at the Flame would be equivalent to casting Drain Soul at a human. I do not think casting Extinguish would kill it any more than a human affected by Drain Soul could be killed through loss of MP.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #213