Re: the KoW debate

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 20:37:08 -0500

In Digest V2 #210, Peter Metcalfe writes:

> The Kingdom of War is _not_ a normal society, it
>is a Madness.

Hear, hear. However, Madness is still part of the greater human experience, which means that there is something going on there. Even in Nazi Germany and Stalin's USSR, there was culture: people going about their everyday activities. The starting point has to be knowing what was there before. And right now, we don't have a very clear picture of that. The KoW as presented is one dimensional. For it to make sense as a part of Glorantha and to maximize MGF, we need to know what goes on within its borders as well as how it acts toward its neighbors.

>Whether Lord Death on a Horse does it for the Great God
>Pookums or is a bewildered Humakti trying to keep a grip of things is
>immaterial.

Uh, immaterial to what? If you're being run through by a KoWarrior's spear, it's not going to be the first thing on your mind :-). But if you're the Bishop of some place on the hit list, wouldn't you want to know? For one thing, the KoW has weaknesses, and its enemies will want to know what they are.

>Complaining about the lack of apparent culture in the Kingdom of War
>misses the point. I would only use cultural practices in the Kingdom
>of War to bely the senselessness of it all.

On the Glorantha as literary field level, the second statement is absolutely correct. It contradicts the first statement, of course, because the complaints have focused on the literary level as well (and some on the Gloranthan reality level). It may be that the KoW, like the Ducks, only makes sense on the literary level. OK, then. I'd rather have a two-dimensional or three-dimensional enemy than a one-dimensional villain.