KOW

From: Aden Steinke <Aden_Steinke_at_uow.edu.au>
Date: 17 Nov 1995 13:45:21 +1000

Hmm

KoW as Ottomans just doesn't work for me, the cheery Ottomans were such a relatively tolerant empire, compared with their noted (and my favourite commiter of atrocities on neighbours, subject races and rebellious cities) rival in the period of expansion, the Timurids, in particular. Even the Serbians who were slaughtered at Mohacs (?) and had a tower of skulls raised from the heads of their fallen, later fought fairly willingly for the Ottomans without giving up their own religion. Ottomans are much more like the warm and friendly Lunars than cruel tapping authoritarians.

Though the effect of KoW columns marching on you would bring on a severe attack of the

>ii) Oh my god! The Ottoman Turks are coming, and they have a *vast*,
>well-organised army. They have more and better military equipment than we've
>ever been able to afford, the biggest cannon in the world, they're
unstoppable
>in battle, and they're all fanatics ready to die for their infidel god! We
>don't stand a chance!

as Nick puts it.... though the horror of Timur marching on you offering the joys of quarter half or total massacre plus bonus tower of skulls depending on how much the locals resisted him would have been even more disconcerting. The Ottomans on the other hand mostly waged war in an 'acceptable' manner that was not really alien to their neighbours.

Aden