Elemental Spirits

From: Frank & Stacie Giles <fsgiles_at_pixi.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 19:54:50 -1000

In #206 Michael Raaterova waxed eloquent and creative on the subject earth elemental spirits. I concur that many different types and degrees of elementals probably exist, although I think of them as being quite rare. One example:
A character in an especially dangerous and therefore unvisited location in my campaign found a Sylph-Sword. This weapon had a willing Sylph-Lord bound into it, the sword was enchanted to be the sylph's physical body. The Sylph was intelligent, had a very high Pow, could see the material plane from inside the sword, could fly and could command regular fixed-int sylphs at will. The sword, (named Finduilis by the player of the character who got it), would only get along with high-ranking and faithful storm rune cultists. It could take one action per round and had two attack modes and could parry on its own, (Yes, this is an version of the Dancing sword from that EviL Role Playing Game) but its skill percentages were pretty low to start. I played that one able to use this sword would be considered a minor hero and favored by Orlanth. The campaign had become very tough campaign at the point Finduilis was introduced (after the gatorbroo gang, poisonous and exploding vegetation, and the size 120 Dragonsnail, but before the ancient Vivamort temple) and so the balance wasn't thrown off too much, but since it confers an extra independant attack or parry on its user it would really affect a low rune-level or lower campaign.