Re: gnomes

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 95 17:47:39 -0600

Sandy
> The major problem with letting gnomes carry folks willy-nilly is
>of course that it makes Glorantha so unlike Earth (walls and
castles >become useless, natural obstacles go away) that it would harm GMs.

Harald Smith
>If I remember right, gnomes cannot move through stone. Therefore,
>any wall or castle set upon stone is safe.

  1. this restricts castle building solely to places where the castle walls can be set on a stone foundation, which is _not_ available in many places. It also forces you to put flagstones over the entire castle courtyard, a contingency not formerly required and preventing you from having grazing land, trees, gardens, etc. within. Next, any non-castle type of fortress is still impossible, as are the great majority of walled cities. I still contend it makes Glorantha too unlike Earth.

>I would add one further detriment to using the gnome carrying
>method -- gnomes are stupid.

        This is true, but easily overcome (have a shaman or tame spirit possess the gnome, or make the gnome a familiar).

Sandy