Kingdom of War (again)

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 20:04:23 -0500

In V2 #212, Mark Smylie writes:

>Wagon gods, pack animal spirit cults, pathfinder cults, the Eyes
>and Ears of the War Machine, cults of Battle Din and Discord, Pillage and
the
>Scorched Earth, Vile Rumor and the Fear-in-the-Night, cults of Wall and
Tower
>with their patron saint Vauban, cults of Crow and Vulture (the
>cannibalistic[?] Carrion Eaters, the Sacred Eaters of the War Dead), all
>these should exist in addition to the regimental cults of Sword and Spear,
>Axe and Lance, Phalanx and Company. The KoW should possess arms and armor
at
>least the rival of the full plate of Loskalm, though undoubtedly more
>barbaric in appearance and accouterment, and hence the cults of the War
>Smiths, the Damascened Gods, trading whispered secrets with the dwarves of
>Nidan and stealing the secrets of Third Eye Blue.

This all works for me, and the extended and very poetic description of the REAL threat of the KoW was excellent and very Gloranthan. Brrr.

Anyone who wants the KoW to be no more than a cardboard cutout is free to stop reading this thread. No one could possibly use all of the ideas presented in this forum (they're contradictory, for starters), but no one has the right to say that a particular thread is not a legitimate avenue for exploration. Keep it up, Mark.

As to the Mostali connection, anybody else read Niven's _The Ringworld Engineers_? The Puppeteers didn't have what it takes to make war, so they covertly helped the humans against the Kzinti, all to the end of breeding a less violent Kzin. Maybe some Mostali think they can create an instability in the surface world sufficient to cleanse most of it of the filth there (humans, elves, trolls, plants, etc.). Then it'll be easier for the Mostali to repair the surface world when the time comes.