Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #202

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Thu Mar 20 10:06:06 1997

Peter Metcalfe in reply to Nick Brooke:
>>King Vikkard of the Tourneys briefly revived the
>>spirit of Seshnelan Chivalry in Rokari Tanisor, but the decline in power which
>>his fai-neant reign initiated did not endear this concept to the Powers That
>>Be.

About like Karl V (of Germany, Spain, and 50% of the rest of the world) who was considered to be the last true knight while being ruler of the greatest modern state of that time.

> I think the Rokari phase of Chivalry started somewhat earlier. Ulianus
> III founded the Tournament State of Kustria, after all. My guess is that
> Chivalry arose as a philosophy out of Castle Coast as a 'return' to the
> 'old ways' but really an adaptation to their exile/confinement on the bleak
> shores of Castle Coast. I don't think the Seshnela of Rokar's time was
> chivalric.

I'm not sure. The Jrusteli Empire started out as a Crusade, most of which start out as chivalric affair and end with gritty pragmatical soldiers. However, after Ralios had fallen, the Rightness Crusaders had two to three centuries to enjoy the fruits of their crusade (unlike the Christian crusaders, who got seerely beaten within 100 years after establishing themselves anywhere they had gone). I have no idea how life in God Learner Seshnela was like. Any takers?

> IMO, the models of the Castle Coast Chivalry (Gerlant, Hrestol
> etc) would disdain the Castle Coasters as pretentious fops were they still
> alive.

Full marks! Exactly what Pandirius Heavyfeather experienced in Sogolotha Leicester.