Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #220

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 14:54:52 -0500

In V2 #220, Peter Metcalfe natters on:

> And I hardly see how
>attaching PoMo labels onto the various aspects of the GM's PoV improves
>his comprehension of the Kingdom of War.

If you don't see it, then it obviously doesn't exist.

You know, I didn't like the Far Point earth cults which appeared here recently. I did not find them true to my vision of Glorantha. But you don't see me berating people for bringing up the subject or insisting that they shouldn't be explored because the PC's won't know anything about the subject.  I'm really baffled by the hostility to the KoW thread.

As for Peter's post-Hitler/post-Stalin scenario for LDoaH, those despots' demises don't analogize well to the KoW. The KoW doesn't have the luxury of a long struggle for succession. The rivals waiting in the wings know that supremacy must be swift or not at all, because the KoW would quickly consume itself in a civil war. There just isn't any supply base without constant expansion. The most likely response to a leadership vacuum would be mere uncoordination: Generalissimo A takes the western army and Generalissimo B takes the eastern. They no longer work together, they're implacably hostile, but they prefer victory over neighbors to the risks of facing each other. It is JUST possible that strategic defeats on all flanks might lead to the self-immolation of civil war.