French version of Nomad Gods: review

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 17:46:55 -0500

Folks:

    I apologize if this subject has been beaten to death (on a horse, of course) already, but I thought I'd share some thoughts on this Gloranthan board game. Oriflam has done its usual excellent job with the physical appearance of the game. It comes with English rules, which include some myths of Prax, including a new myth about Basmol and a Basmoli ritual to go along with it. There are a few new units since the Chaosium version (or at least I don't remember them & I don't have the Chaosium version to check against):

-The Hidden Tribes: from the description, apparently Oasis people
-The Black Eater (mistranslated as the Dark Eater in the rules)
-Spirit Archers: an independent tribe
-Mother Ostrich, an independent spirit (no points for guessing who it's
     allied to)
-The Nonsleeping Dog, a treasure
-The Eye of Genert, a treasure
-Yamsur's Firestarter, a treasure
-The Dung Urn, a treasure
-Tada's Mask, a grisly portion & treasure
-Condor, an independent spirit
-Grandmother of Spiders, a spirit of darkness
-Gerak Kag, a Pavic spirit
-Warriors of Tada

    There are also a couple new spots on the map:
-Condor Crag (well known from Borderlands)
-Malia's Stool (with the same double meaning in French)

    The French translation of "the Paps" is "Les Mamelons," which translates back as "The Nipples." The French aren't prudes, you have to give them that.

     The Big Rubble has been moved to the correct (downstream) side of New Pavis.

     Pairing Stone is now the special site of the Black Eater (!), instead of Orlanth (as detailed in CoP).

     Anyhow, it's worth $40.00 only if you're a Gloranthan completist or a wargamer. Order from Wizard's Attic.

     --Martin