Re: Rokari vs. other Malkioni

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 95 13:09:26 -0600

Joerg B.
>Of course we know that of the existing sects, the Rokari are one of
>the youngest, originating sometime around 1350 so that Bailifes
>could look back on a short but intense tradition of martyr "Saints"
>when he used Mardron and his fanatical following to establish
>himself as the new King of Seshnela around 1412.

        I somewhat agree. In my opinion, the Rokari reformation was NOT perceived as a replacement of the old ways -- that's the Hrestoli take on _their_ revolution. Instead, the Rokari believe that they purified an evil taint that had crept into their originally pure religion. They believe that they have literally Reformed, not replaced, the older sect. I believe that they perceive a continuous line of authority from Hrestol to the current Patriarch, though they admit that a number of Patriarchs before 1350 were wicked men. Of course, now that Saint Bailifes purged the church of sin, only holy and good men hold positions of authority within it. And on the rare occasion that a criminal is able to sneakily attain rank in the church, he is always ferreted out and excommunicated. So have no fear.

        What I'm saying is that the Rokari look back to the olden days for evidence of goodness, and are always on the watch for the encroaching pollution of sin. The Rokari, by their religious outlook, are naturally reactionary and conservative. At their best, think of King Arthur, holding off the barbaric pagan Saxons and trying to preserve the Romano-British civilization. At their worst, think of the Russian Czars of the 19th century.

        The Hrestoli look forward to new greatness, and have shed the old decadent ways of wickedness for a pure new system. The Hrestoli, by their outlook, are naturally revolutionary and radical. At their best, think of the forward-looking thinkers of the American War of Independence. At their worst, think of the forward-looking thinkers of Nazi Germany.

Sandy Petersen