Feeling Gnomic

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 22:55:28 +0100

Sandy comments

I said that
>>Genert is dead and Ernalda is half dead - shouldn't it make
>gnomes >harder to summon than sylphs, who were never touched by death, or
>at >least not in the same extent?

And Sandy assumed that
>by "harder to summon" you actually mean "rarer".

If they are harder to summon, they'd also be rarer. And vice versa. I haven't decided which (not that it makes any difference to the summoner). Perhaps they are just weaker in winter.

>I don't necessarily agree. The air gods were touched by death in a fairly
>substantial way -- Vadrus was completely obliterated, and we know that the
>storm gods were killed in greater quantities than other elemental gods (or
>maybe it's just that their bones tend to be on the surface. Perhaps
>burrowing deeper would expose more types of metals?)

OK, i agree. So maybe gnomes aren't more difficult to summon in winter, but perhaps they are more cruel and generally malign than during the rest of the year. Earth fertility and happiness spirits should definitely be more difficult to summon than malignomes.

It ties in with Seelie = summer and Unseelie = winter.

About new types of metals - i'm all for it. Octiron, anyone?

>Finally, if being in the underworld counts as being dead half the time
>(which is certainly a defensible point of view), then Orlanth is dead part
>of the time, too.

Forgot about Orlanth's death. If i remember correctly, Earth season is the calmest season of the year? Storm Spirits should be rarer perhaps?

On the Underworld.

I guess it's made up of lots of different Lands, like the Halls of the Dead, Cavern of Plenty, Garden of Seeds, Daughterpale Island in the Tearbless Sea, Ghost Tunnels, Forge of Hearts, Bloated Pond, the Womb Rock, the Hurting Pit, the Softwarm Room, Glowmud River, Rumblefall Trail, the Hall of Riches, the Ash Garden, Styx, Hungry Valley, Hissing Cave and stuff like that.

Just 'being in the Underworld' is pretty vague. Not every land in the Underworld is for the dead.

[And if you think i just wrote another List of Hollow Names, you're part right. However, some of the names are from a HeroQuest path i'm planning, so there is some substance to it.]

Burrowing deeper...