KoW

From: martin <102541.3423_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 21 Nov 95 20:03:34 EST

MSmylie wrote a smashing piece on the KoW which was very enjoyable and in one area proved me wrong. Stay on the LSD, I think I'll be joining you!

As for all those moaning minnies out there who are "so sick of the KoW" debate; write something else then or don't read it if you don't want to but don't tell people to stop talking about it because you find it "sooooo boring", You know why? Cos I find it sooooo boring that somebody cn be bothered to write in to complain when the time could actually be spent _doing_ something!

Anyway, to avoid falling into my own trap I just want to add that the KoW debate has brought to me an understanding of the interrelations between war and chaos in Glorantha that I hadn't really examined before. My thoughts go like this:

Death was originally a tool of Chaos, having no place within the order of the universe. It was used more and more in battles, which had previously been non-fatal to all things, including the very terrain the Gods walked on.

Then Death in Battles became War and here is where chaos gains its strength.

All Gloranthan wars have brought chaos, the larger the war, the more chaos fallout there is. Examples:

Gods War: Greater Darkness
Gbaji War: well..Gbaji (or Arkat for you Pelorians out there) God Learners/EWF etc: Black Pus Broos etc Castle Blue: Crimson Bat
Sheng Seleris: Yara Aranis

Now the Hero wars are beginning and we know that the Monster Empire is to come, Entropy is breaking its chains again and the KoW is important in our understanding of this.

The problem with war is that it brings chaos, no matter how noble or just the cause, even if you are defending yourself. However if you don't fight you get slaughtered so you wouldn't even know what a peaceful vistory was cos you'd be dad which is bad news really.

Hero Wars = Mass War, Mass War = Chaos, Chaos wars = Entropy squared

Martin Laurie