God Learners

From: Sandy Petersen <sandyp_at_idgecko.idsoftware.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 95 11:22:29 -0600

Martin
>While I really don't want to reopen this thread,I dispute the idea
>that the GL's were cultural relativists. They were cultural
>imperialists, a worldview only possible if one believes that one's
>own culture is superior to all others.

        The underlying problem with this statement is that _everyone_ in Glorantha believes that their own culture is superior to all others. The God Learners were not evangelical. And they weren't cultural relativists, but they might seem that way to an outsider.

        To sum up my own convictions about the God Learners:

        The God Learners did not believe that all religions and world views were intrinsically worthwhile and thereby equal, and did not engage in moral relativism.

        God Learners DID change chameleonlike from belief to belief (but not from cult to cult). Using these alterations of belief enabled them to deny the existence of moral law, except as a tool.

        God Learners were the opposite of solipsistic -- the external universe is _all_ that matters.

Sandy