Earth gods.

From: mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 12:24:32 +0000 (GMT)

Peter Metcalfe:
> ...there is no sign of an 'Earth King' predecessor whom Pamalt displaced
> (like Orlanth displaced Umath).

What about Lodril? He is one of the Doraddi elder gods. Before even that there's Molandro the Earth Eater was also known in Pamaltela, he is mentioned in the Pamalt write-up. Though he is virtually unknown now, I suspect he formerly important. After all he did represent the cthonian powers against Yelm.

I agree with Peter's suggestion that Flamal is the Western Earth King. I can imagine pagan survivals sneaking into the woods to worship with the aldryami fairy-folk just like in Margaret Murray. I also liked the idea of the draconic Kralori erect the Shan Shan against the giant Genert. I doubt that there is a specific Pelorian Earth King on account of the Sun/Storm divide. I wonder if the Second Council Praxians traditions about Genert went into general circulation?

Pam Carlson:
>And, according to Plentonius, Lodril does dwell in one of the deeper hells.
>He guards the gate to the fourth (worst and nastiest) hell.

The Monster Man is a sub-cult of Lodril. However it is not, and never has been human. As a nasty darkness god with fire powers he also bears a striking resemblance to Zorak Zoran. Since the Pelorians explain Antirius/Yelmalio loosing his fire powers through the betrayals of his own people (rather than through the depredations of ZZ) they may explain ZZ's fire magic by saying that he's Lodrils bad side. I wonder how they explain Argan Argar's "imprisonment" of Lodril. I assume the myth is n't specific to the Holy Country.
Andrew Behan.