Re: elves

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 12:56:06 -0500

In V2 #234, Steve Lieb writes:

>Well, does anyone know of published material or info i might be missing that
>may, for example, explain EXACTLY how elven societies work?

This is a gap in published material. Shannon Appel, among others, is working on filling the gap.

> I mean, what
>kind of communities do they live in? Do the HAVE communities?

Absolutely. They live in communist collectives, as we know from published sources. I treat these as forest-wide, although a very large forest may have sub-communities.

> How do the
>brown elves get along with the greens, exactly?

In most forests, they get along fine, balancing each others' weaknesses. But it's more complicated than that: both groups are subdivided by tree type. A bristlecone elf, who takes the long view, is hard for even a pine elf to understand. Some elf forests have human Children of the Forest who serve the Aldryami against other humans. Errontree has a colony of centaurs who support the Aldryami as cavalry.

>How about elves from
>different forests? Are there elven colonies set up in dark, elfless
>forests, trying to 'spread the religion' so to speak? How about with the
>lesser aldryami?

Sounds like a good Hero Wars type activity. Dryads and Pixies don't travel well, but it might be possible to transplant a Runner colony.

I can't remember if this has appeared on the Digest, but my theory of Aldryami writing is that normal writing (that is, making marks on a surface) is considered "making" by the Aldryami. Thus, the Aldryami find such activities alien and impossible, because they are the Growers. (The grow copper axe heads, so I believe they make nothing.) The Aldryami record information through the way they grow certain plants. The seeds carry much of the same information (Glorantha is a Lamarckian world). Getting a skill of Read/Write Aldryami above about 10% requires elvish Touch sense.

And if you think that's weird, I'll debunk the Uz Darksense = sonar theory for you next.