many things

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 16:01:05 +1300

Hmm. The Luatha tried to sink me with a force 6.0 earthquake but I'm still posting.

Andrew Behan:

Peter Metcalfe:
>> ...there is no sign of an 'Earth King' predecessor whom Pamalt displaced
>> (like Orlanth displaced Umath).

>What about Lodril? He is one of the Doraddi elder gods. Before even
>that there's Molandro the Earth Eater was also known in Pamaltela, he is
>mentioned in the Pamalt write-up. Though he is virtually unknown now, I
>suspect he formerly important. After all he did represent the cthonian powers
>against Yelm.

Lodril is technically speaking a Fire God rather than an Earth God of Fertility. Molandro is a possibility but I think he's a Spike God (a la Kargan Tor and all that) rather than Ruler of Pamaltela. The Pelorians don't know of him and the God that Pamalt displaced was Artmal who has Lunar rather than Earthly Connections.

It seems to me after reading Sandy's latest post that Generts position as God of the Continent was not the same thing as his holding important fertility powers (a la Tammuz and Flamal) which I had assumed they were. I now think Genert and Artmal achieved the status of Continental Ruler by Heroic Deeds (like Pamalt does during the Gods War) rather than through an act of simple theogony.

>The Monster Man is a sub-cult of Lodril.

Monster Man aka Deshkorgos is a subcult of Lodril? Is this from the Full Lodril Cult Writeup?

>However it is not, and never
>has been human. As a nasty darkness god with fire powers he also bears a
>striking resemblance to Zorak Zoran.

Also note the Three Eyes and compare this to the Prosopaedia description of Zorak.

>Since the Pelorians explain
>Antirius/Yelmalio loosing his fire powers through the betrayals of his
>own people (rather than through the depredations of ZZ) they may explain
>ZZ's fire magic by saying that he's Lodrils bad side.

There is a tale about Grandfather Clay (a Lodril type figure) that was told at the Convulsion. He healed Deshkorgos and so the Pelorians might say that Deshkorgos is able to use fire magic.

>I wonder how they [The Pelorians]
>explain Argan Argar's "imprisonment" of Lodril. I assume the myth is n't
>specific to the Holy Country.

I believe it is. This is assuming you are refering to the myth of Lordil being imprisioned by Argan Argar. The Broken Council Guidebook mentions that Caladril (A Volcano God) who was there before Argan Argar came to the land was conquered by him and forced to build the Castle of Black Glass. Later the God Learners come and turn Caladril into Lodril and Caladra and meld the latter with Aurelion.

The Dara Happans say he came to Earth even earlier but I think this refers to a volcanic eruption. My belief is that Lodril went into Earth before Man walked upon the Earth. I think the act of doing so wiped up the Dragon Age in a catalysm of Fire.

Tim Torres:

>Would somebody please tell me where I can find the most complete
>published material on Kralorela that is currently in print? (Besides
>Gods of Glorantha, which I have).

The Writeup in the Genertelan Boxed Set is more complete. Troll Gods also has some snippets on the Kingdom of Ignorance and some details can be found in the RuneQuest Companion.

Paul Stolar:

>If one takes this further, Subere held DEATH in her bosom. DEATH separates
>the corporeal from the spirit and draws the spirit to HELL (in Suberes
>area). Is there a Dayzatar equivalent rune, unknown at this time, which
>might draw the spirit to "Heaven"? Thoughts anyone.

Truth. It doesn't have to be unknown. But Everybody knows that it's unattainable in Glorantha as Dayzatar, the holder of it, is still stuck on the second proposition of Descartes to prove the existance of the material world.

Steve Lieb:

>Well, does anyone know of published material or info i might be missing that
>may, for example, explain EXACTLY how elven societies work? I mean, what
>kind of communities do they live in? Do the HAVE communities? How do the
>brown elves get along with the greens, exactly? How about elves from
>different forests? Are there elven colonies set up in dark, elfless
>forests, trying to 'spread the religion' so to speak? How about with the
>lesser aldryami?

Touchsense. They are extremely sensitive of other aldryami needs and wants and the thought of this unsatisfied causes them some pain. So if Rohir Oaklimb wants a bow, he sends his emotions through the woods (being picked up by the pants and amplified by the Runners at various points). The emotions reach the nearest bowmaker, Penacyr Heartwood who makes a bow to satisfy Rohir's desires. The fact that he has made a bow then gets retransmitted back to Rohir (or any other elf that wants a bow) who then goes to Penacyr and picks up a bow.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #236