Catching up (w. brief KoW allusions)

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 26 Nov 95 04:58:56 EST

Kingdom of War

Sheesh, there's been a lot of good KoW stuff recently. I must start cut'n'pasting a compilation together, for use later.

Two thoughts:

i) If the Loskalmi come to believe that either Attrition or Scorched Earth are viable strategies against the KoW, they will have utterly forfeited the moral high ground, and will most likely be nobbled for it in what's left of the Hereafter. Though I think there is a very real risk that some of those egghead Wizards may, even now, be writing treatises on the "Ideal" way to wage war in the "Modern World". Meriatan as Haig, anyone: "Loskalm Needs You!"?

ii) I remembered a description of a (fictional? I hope!) atrocity I read some time ago. Travelling through a town or village sacked by the enemy, where Every Living Thing has been (impaled? crucified?) -- right down to the birds, domestic pets, farm animals... Now, that takes some doing: pure KoW style! (Can anyone out there remind me of the source?)

You know, I actually enjoyed Mark Smylie's KoW 'cultural' (Dad Said) and 'mythical' (Priest Said) write-ups. (I liked Scott Haney's take on this, too). In many parts, Mark's pieces were Dead Good. I noted with smug self-satisfaction, however, his disclaimer:

> I am also afraid that none of it is quite as "beautiful" or as "terrible" as
> I would have liked. Oh well.

Hah! I *said* this would be difficult to do! But there are definitely parts of your writeups I will be happy to adopt.

(The Dwarfs are behind it all! With their swarthy skin, their big noses, their hoards of gold, of course they're funding the Enemy of Mankind! Let's kill all the Dwarfs! That'll stop the Kingdom of War in its tracks. I read it in the Protocols of the Elders of Nida, once...)

Nick

PS: Was Catherine the Great "Lady Death Under A Horse"?