Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #231 (fwd)

From: Roy L. Vieira <rvieira_at_toto.csustan.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 08:35:41 -0800 (PST)

> From: Chris Pearce <cpearce_at_speed.intecom.com>
> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 95 13:34:07 CST
> Subject: Role-playing systems
>

> IMHO, avoid Rolemaster, GURPS, and Hero. But then, I like minimalist systems
> and the complex systems these games use are anathema to me.

First, I wouldn't even THINK of calling GURPS complex. Sure, it has lots of supplements, but it's basic system is about as simple as you can get. Which is one of the reason's I don't like it.

Now, someone else, from the Glorantha list, while not putting down Harn, did say some things about it's fantasy background. To which I'd like to respond.

First, backgrounds are what the Game Master's make of them. Harnworld is a bit different from most FRP's in that it provides a rather detailed background, something that was really rather new when it first came out. Or at least hadn't been done to the depth that CG did it. And to be quite honest, I appreciate the work that they did put into it. But beyond that, I appreciate the way they did it, where even "new" supplements that deal with "historical happenings" have to take place before 720TR. I got so tired of running a game and having new stuff come out from the publisher, that if I wanted to incorporate it into my game could have caused a major "rewrite" of MY gameworld's history.

And while I do have some minor problems with the game system, they are being addressed, either in the 2nd edition of Harnmaster, or by the HRT, as my major problem has to deal with religion in Harn, and the way it was written up.

But, even taking that into consideration, I've played Runequest, and I don't think it's better than Harnmaster. Granted, that's my opinion, but there it is.

:Albert "Al" Lowe         sirdirk_at_xnet.com    :
:      This area under re-construction        :
:       Proceed with extreme caution          :