Revealed: Lodril is Zorak Zoran's evil twin

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 16:29:06 -0500

In V2 #236, Andrew Behan and Peter Metcalfe discuss this intriguing issue:

>Lodril is technically speaking a Fire God rather than an Earth God of
>Fertility. ...

That's what one would conclude from the GoG write-up, which doesn't give him the Earth rune. However, his associations are strongly with the earth, and Greg Stafford has written (in a private communication) that Lodril is an earth god. (Lest anyone think I am some kind of inner circle kinda guy, this is about the ONLY interesting tid-bit I've gotten directly from him.)

>>The Monster Man is a sub-cult of Lodril.
>Monster Man aka Deshkorgos is a subcult of Lodril? Is this from the
>Full Lodril Cult Writeup?

Yes.

>>However it is not, and never
>>has been human. As a nasty darkness god with fire powers he also bears a
>>striking resemblance to Zorak Zoran.
>Also note the Three Eyes and compare this to the Prosopaedia description
>of Zorak.

Now THIS is really interesting (sorry about the spacing in the following table).

     Lodril                            Zorak Zoran
     --------                            -----------------
     Fire where it's dark     Darkness that controls fire
     Occasionally violent    Occasionally violent
     Quiet most of time       Inactive most of the time
     Supporting role            Supporting role
      Third eye                      Third eye
      Disorder rune              Disorder rune
      Fertility-oriented          Death-oriented
      Large family                 Only sister willing to admit kinship

Enough similarity to provoke a Ph.D. thesis for some addled God Learner!

>>I wonder how they [The Pelorians]
>>explain Argan Argar's "imprisonment" of Lodril. I assume the myth is n't
>>specific to the Holy Country.
>I believe it is.

I second Peter on this one.