Card gaming

From: Nils Weinander <niwe_at_ppvku.ericsson.se>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 08:31:32 +0100

John Hughes:
>My nascent "Power Way" deck (which is specifically Far Point Orlanthi in focus)

I think John hit an important note here. To work in a Gloranthan setting, a card mechanism like the one in Everway needs to be tailored to the specific setting: Orlanthi will have a different set of symbols and images than Malkioni, which will differ from Doraddi and Kralorelans etc.

Given a lot of time and unbroken inspiration, it shouldn't be impossible to come up with cards for a cultural context. I see one big problem though. What happens when characters from one culture meets people from another. For example if Orlanthi player characters run into a lunar patrol and some interaction - peaceful or not - takes place, will the two parties use the same set of cards for action resolution, and if so, which one?

>While its still early days, I will be demonstrating the card deck and
>archetype system at RQ Con Down Under

I hope this will be presented in other forms (like one of teh 'zines) too, for the benefit of those of us who cannot make it to Australia.

Nils W				| Here we are!
Office: niwe_at_einku.ericsson.se	| We sail on a ship made of dreams.
Home: nilsw_at_ibm.net