Gloranthan Tarot Ideas:

From: Mike Cule <mikec_at_room3b.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 11:30:28 GMT

I have been fooling around with the idea of a Gloranthan Tarot for use with an Everway/Heroquest experiment. So far I've just started by making the major non-elemental Runes into the Trumps. Each has an illustration listed for it (although I have no talent for drawing).

For example Illusion shows: A group of people bow before a figure that stands before an altar. We however can see that it is a two dimensional cutout. Behind an arras a Trickster figure laughs.

And each is assigned a divinatory meaning. Death for instance (which is depicted as either a sword or as Orlanth slaying Yelm) has the meaning of Ending or cutting off. Reversed it means Sterility or pointless destruction.

I was planning to have seven cards in each elemental group depicting a deity. Orlanth would be the King of the Storm group and Yelm the King of the Light Group.

Obviously this Gloranthan Tarot is that most dreaded of things: A GOD LEARNER CONSTRUCT! But not necessarily invalid for all that.

Actor and Genius.
AKA Theophilus, Prince-Archbishop of the Far Isles (Arms: Purpure, an open book proper, without clasps. On the dexter page the Greek letter Alpha or. On the sinister page the letter Omega of the same. Motto: nulla spes sit in resistendo.)

Ask me about the Far Isles Medieval Society: Better living through pan-medieval anachronisms.

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #238