Gloranthan Gypsies

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 15:11:28 +1300

Nick Fortune:

>Do we have any gypies in Western Genertela? If the place is going to be
>a "root cellar" for modern western culture, it seems they really have to
>have a place there. Anyone got any info on them? If not I've got a few
>ideas of my own I might brush up.

The closest parallel that I know of is the Third Eye Blue who are wandering smiths. They are said to have come from what is now modern day Carmania (despite the line in the Fronelan writeup in G:CotHW). However their main secrets are in the workings of metal and they at least do an honest days work.

The Vadeli merchants could also be another possibility. Poor shifty thieves roving about on land in caravans. However they are too vile for a close gypsy parallel and for the most part are confined to ghettos in the cities.

The Boristi may be a good choice. They are universally repressed due to their allegedly vile chaos worshipping traditions and had a state that was purged by Bailifes' Crusade. I can easily accept that some of them took to wandering about in caravans avoiding suspicion. This also gives them a good occult tradition to draw upon. I'm surprised that the Boristi weren't written up in the released Malkioni Sect writeups at Berkeley even though they are more populous than the Galvosti.