Re: Humakti geases

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 22:31:06 -0500

In V2 #237, Paul Pofandt writes:

>If the proabition is on not avoiding death, I'd think that the geas should
>only apply during combat. After all, a season later, the maimed Humakti is
>no longer getting any closer to death (the injury has healed, albeit badly)
>though the warrior is no longer battle worthy (The player in mind had his
>sword arm mangled by a lucky strike). Perhaps the Humakti could be healed
>only on their High Holy day?
>
>OTOH. If the proabition is due to Humakt's avoidance of all healing arts,
>then ther's probably no getting around it... The player is crippled for
life.

>Any suggestions?

Yes: have the character learn to fight left-handed (and Dodge).

Yes, the geas is a game mechanic. Does that mean it doesn't also work on a literary or Gloranthan reality level? No, not necessarily.

My explanation for the geas (semi-off the cuff) is this: Humakt wants you to feel and viscerally appreciate his Power. In exchange for your ability to do wicked damage (inflicting his Power), you must accept the trade-off: feeling his Power as he sees fit. True, this won't necessarily result in immediate Death of the body. But in your player's PC's case, it did result in the Separation of a part (a very valuable part). This constant reminder will act better than any talisman or icon to draw the character closer to Humakt.  He'll look at the stump and think "Humakt is powerful. Humakt is Separation."

     Or, if he is too small to bear or too foolish to understand the burden sent by his god, he may forswear Humakt. He's a stern god who wants his followers to meet him honorably. To break a geas just because it's convenient <Church Lady voice here> is not honorable. That "lucky blow" was no accident: to a true Humakti, it was a touch by that great Hand. To heal it would be sacriligious.

As for Praxian Humakt temples, they're where you need them. There's one in Pavis, for sure, and portable shrines among some Praxian tribes, especially the Pol Joni.