Mostali Councils

From: Eric Rowe <rowe_at_CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 21:48:34 -0800

Our Mostali-loving comrade Erik (note he is no true Mostali, for he misspells his own name) mentions...

>Nick Brooke, you have also read the Protocols of the Elders of Nida?
>(The Nine Elders, remember that) Did you also get your copy from this
>nice elf with a Movement rune on his right arm?

This got me thinking about the Decamony and Mostali governing councils. We know the Nidan council (decamony) seats 9, but little else. Here are my thoughts on the leadership and councils of the Mostali.

Slon - The oldest surviving Mostali government body, the ruling council here seats ten, hence the name given to ruling councils throughout the rest of the Mostali lands. Each of the 8 first metals are represented as well as the ninth, Iron. The tenth is the 'best of the rest', voted on by the council of 9 metals to be their chairmostali. The leader may be from any metal. (of course, the Elevenths are always striving for a seat of their own too)

Nida - The Nidan factory has been through many tough times, often worker units from Slon and other factories had to be sent as replacements. The Nidan council was originally modelled on the Slon council, but with all the new units factionalization and metal favoritism became rampant. The council voted the tenth to be an empty seat, and thus it has remained. It is therefore still a Decamony, but with only 9 elders.

Gemborg - Led by noted heretic Martaler the Blazing Forge, this factory still has a fairly standard Decamony. All the 9 metals are represented, but the tenth is always Martaler. However, as Martaler prefers to spend his time in the metalworks, the council of 9 effectively controls all the daily activity of Gemborg.

Dwarf Mine - Isidilian the Wise, the paragon of openhandedness, prefers the 'hands on' approach and doesn't bother with a council.

Greatway - Another factory of great age and history. This is also governed by a true Decamony. Each of the nine metals is represented, but the tenth is not 'the best of the rest'. Instead, the tenth must be an outsider, usually a visiting clay mostali. In past centuries Isidilian has had the seat, as have members of other races (usually only in times of great trouble).

Diamond Mountain - A hole full of Octomonists. Of course, they have a council of 8, ruled by one representative from each of the 8 true metals.

Kingdom of War - Despite their newness, they also have a true Decamony, but with a twist. Eight of the places are of the best Iron generals, the ninth comes from one of the other base metals. One of each is chosen and they fight to the death to determine which metal gets the seat. The tenth is the greatest Iron general, and he is entitled Lord Death on a Horse, the human translation of 'An Iron Mostali in a Tank'.

eric