Elder Races

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 16:41:29 +1300

Eric Rowe:

>Nida - The Nidan factory has been through many tough times, often worker
>units from Slon and other factories had to be sent as replacements. The
>Nidan council was originally modelled on the Slon council, but with
>all the new units factionalization and metal favoritism became rampant.

Hmm. I don't think Nida is actually aware of Slon's existance and Vice Versa until quite recently. Looking at Elder Secrets, it says both Slon and Nida run their half of the world in Perfect Unity. I fail to see how this could so if they were aware of each others existanace since the beginning of time.

I would place awareness of the Decamony of Slon/Nida with the arrival of the Opening. The Dwarves of Slon experimenting with the Cement Ships reach Jrustela and find a Dwarf conclave that swore allegiance to Nida, a place which they have never heard of before. The potential conflict (although tempered by the long distance) threatens to split Dwarfdom...

Andrew Behan:

>Nick says Lodril is associated the volcano which is now Lake Oronin.
>YarGan, who may be Argan Argar, is the god of the Oronin blue people (and
>possibly the master of Castle Blue.) How did the change-over happen? Did
>YarGan conquer Lodril as Argan Argar conquered Caladril?

Simply put: Oronin is a body of water which occupies the remants of a volcano. There's a technical geological term for this which I can't remember but it is quite common. It usually forms when a Volcano becomes extinct thus the cone is no longer replenished through Lava Flows or Lahars to replace material lost by erosion. Eventually the cone of the volcano becomes eroded and the sea rushes in occupying the volcanic crater.

For Lake Oronin/Elvitos, we know that in the Old Days, gloranthan rivers could flow upriver. So what better way to win a war against a tribe of Volcano Worshippers then to send a river to flood their volcano?

The Volcano of Vent is not flooded and I suppose Argan Argar subdued it by another method (ie capture the Volcanic High Priests and threaten to cut their bollocks off until they complied).

Sandy Petersen:

>The basic unit of elf society is the Forest.

There seems to be a natural limit on how much a land a Forest Council can govern. Errinoru's Empire incorporated several such concils and maintained strict control over them via pherome secretions. Yet the Woods of Enkloso which is just as large seems to have only one Forest Council. I'm curious as to how they manage.