Oronin

From: Nick Brooke <100270.337_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 30 Nov 95 02:32:07 EST

Andrew asks:

> Nick says Lodril is associated the volcano which is now Lake Oronin.
> YarGan, who may be Argan Argar, is the god of the Oronin blue people
> (and possibly the master of Castle Blue.) How did the change-over
> happen? Did YarGan conquer Lodril as Argan Argar conquered Caladril?

In the Gods War, O Best Beloved, the mighty Oronin River marched uphill from the Sweet Sea to attack Fire Mountain. Beneath this mighty volcano, the biggest in the world, slumbered the aged ruler of that part of Peloria, Grandfather Lodril. The leader of the attackers was King Oronin (hence the name of his river/army). Lodril was roused to do battle, and Oronin battled furiously with him. When the steam cleared and the dust settled, there was no longer any Fire Mountain, just a broad blue lake in the crater of the ancient volcano. This later became the source of the Oronin River, when it turned to run downhill, answering Magasta's Call.

This has nothing to do with Argan Argar, or YarGan, afaik. I don't think YarGan is ruler of Castle Blue. There is no necessary connection between these (location-specific) myths: not every Volcano in Glorantha was (a) lopped off and converted into an obsidian palace by Darkness, or (b) blown up and turned into a lake by Water, or (c) both, during the Gods War. But if such a re-interpretation helps your campaign, go for it!

Nick