Re: Gloranthan Tarot

From: WillTwist_at_aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 03:34:16 -0500

    In Digest #241 Merlin Cox claims that the Gloranthan tarot would be similar to the RW tarot, because they are both based on the collective unconscious and the monomyth. However, I tend to disagree. My contention is that the overwhelming presence of magic and the direct intervention of gods, spirits, and magical items in Glorantha has a very large impact on the collective unconscious. I mean, when you already have the power to fly, call down the sky's fury, and speak to the dead your opinion of the status quo is much different from us plebians (maybe Sandy can verify this one)..

    This leads me to believe that Glorantha's collective unconscious is different from our own. As such, I believe that their symbols should be different from our own. As far as a tarot I do not believe that it would be appropriate for all of the cultures in Glorantha. I can definately see the God Learners loving the idea (arguments over which god better represents Death). I can also see a Lunar Tarot being popular. The problem I have with the tarot deck in the more barbaric cultures is that it is just not all that practical for every day use. The typical barbarian or nomad would not have access to a form of printed cards. This is why I feel runes are more likely to be found. They can be carved into dried mud or into small stones, then drawn from a bag or scattered face down and then revealed. I can also envision other similar systems such as the I Ching and dare I mention tea leaves.

    I agree with Nils that these runes would need to be interpreted differently from culture to culture, if they even use the same set of runes.  I mean the rune for Darkness would have a very different meaning to a ZZ worshipper than it would for a worshipper of Yelmalio.

Will Johnson