Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #245

From: Erik Sieurin <BV9521_at_utb.hb.se>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 12:41:36 +0100

Peter Metcalfe:
'> An interesting thing is that these Octamonists reject
> both Iron and _Diamond_ and yet they are called Diamond Mountain.
> This has probably heaps to do with the fact that Banajasab is known
> as the Keeper of Crystal Wisdom. Methinks that the Diamondwarfs
> engaged in an experiment to try and transform the Dwarves into
> Diamondwarfs for the next battle against the Kralori and it backfired
> spectacularly shattering them into zillions of pieces and leaving a
> whole lot of magic crystals which the Dwarfs do not want lying around
> the place.

Why? They might be useful. Or is it simply the physical trouble of there being a lot of crystals littering the place? (No, I'm not joking. Dwarves have a completely different set of values than humans and might find them useless - frex, if they had no effect on proper dwarvish magic, but instead disturbed it in such great amounts).
> The local Teshnans find all these magic crystals lying
> and managed to make something useful with them. Suggestions?
This is not an answer to Peter's question, but I suddenly came to think of those RW stories about valleys being filled with gems/valuable oils/resins/spices/whatever. However, they are guarded by snakes/basilisks/dragons/other nasty critters, so you have to use strange tricks to gain the valuable stuff, like throwing down pieces of meat that the valuable stuff will stick to, so that great raptors will pick up the pieces of meat so you then can rob their nests (gasping for breath). These stories also came from the Orient, and aint Teshnos supposed to be a somewhat-analogue of India.....?
> Accordingly I think the Octomonists try and transmute the body of
> the Clay Dwarf into that of the metal caste from whence it came (ie
> into a crude approximation of the original mostali).
I have always assumed that the closer Dwarves come to perfection, the more mineralic and machine-like they become, both physically and mentally. That's why I opposed the idea that dwarves used mechanical transplants for lost limbs and organs - that would be "speeding" the process. Now, I have this theory about Octamonists: what they oppose isn't Diamonddom per se, but the fact that Diamonddwarves are otherwise thought of as being on par with Real Mostali. Thus, in an octomonist council which lacks a True Mostali for one of the seats, the seat will simply be vacant.

> As for the Kralori, I don't think they are hyperconservative either.
> They make a great show and pretence of doing so but Godunya and the
> Exarchs are IMO radical reformers like the Loskalmi in implementing
> major 'reforms' (read 'innovations') to 'return' (read 'propel')
> Kralori Society to the Great Days of Old (or what Godunya and the
> Exarchs feel those days _should_ have been like).
You are probably right - but then that may really be said about the Octamonists as well. Reforms to Return to the Good Old Days is Octomonist stuff: "Who cares if we have used Iron Dwarves since before Time began. WE want things to be like they where before the regular ages began, preferrably as before the universe existed as we know it today"

And, BTW, GREAT post about Dwarven queing, Sam(?)!

Erik Sieurin