Re: KoW NIMBY

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 12:29:09 -0800

Nick Brooke wondered

>> The Kralori do NOT like adopting things from other nations.
>> NIH is the rule.
>
>Is "Nih!" (forcibly pronounced) the focus for a Kralori Disruption spell, cast
>on upstart foreigners? ("We shall say "Nih!" to you again, if you do not
>appease
>us...") Or am I missing a Colonial abbreviation? ("Not In Here"?)

NIH = not invented here. A common problem in technology companies. NIMBY = not in my back yard. A common problem in trying to locate essential but unpleasant services, like dumps, jails, and nuclear reactors.

Tim Ellis suggested

>One theory put forwards is that to defeat
>the KOW militarily, one must become as bad as the KOW , emulating their
>tactics
>and ruthless brutality. It is posssible that this has already happened
>and The
>KOW as the totally brutal threat that could wipe us all out at any moment is
>just being used by the surrounding states to keep its own populations in line
>(think 1984 and its "virtual" Wars).

Actually, it's possible that it's already happened, and the KOW has "defeated" the original Duchy of War at its center. Thank goodness that threat no longer exists!

End of Glorantha Digest V2 #248