What the instructor says

From: ramos_at_crpp.u-bordeaux.fr
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 21:37:19 GMT

	What the instructor told me:
	Who are you?
	I am your sergeant and mystical guide. The men call me Long Face, but
when you addresse me, do it as sir. I have lived twelve holy times dedicated to Death and Humakt, First wielder. You will obey me in all, and you will suffer less. When you are good enough, you will make others suffer.
	Who are we, sir?
	We are the High Blow band of the First Sword regiment. We live by the
harsh strictures of Humakt, First Wielder. As he was the first of many, so we must strive to be the first too.
	What makes us great, sir?
	We serve Death with open eyes, knowing there is nothing at the other
side. And so Death makes us strong enough to kill our enemies. And our enemies are the whole world.

        However Death is better served in teamwork, as basic training has no doubt shown you, so we fight together with the other regiments. They are your deathbrothers, and their life is your own. Many warriors can kill a greater warrior. But do not falter in your service, as a broken weapon can be mended, but a defective one is discarded.

	Where do we live, sir?
	Where your tent is. The whole world is ours to take, so take from it
what you or your brothers need. Sometimes you will stay long in a place, but eventually you will go back to the battlefield. Never get attached to a place.
	How do we live, sir?
	By our strength. We kill, because that is why we live. You will kill
your enemy in battle, or your slave when he is of no longer use, or your food, to eat it. You will kill your mother, to show your devotion to Death, and kill everything that does not help you keep on killing.

        But sometimes you have to see further, and restrain from killing all, so the enemy will kill himself, or surrender and become a tool. Tools will be used until discarded. They are this tools (slaves, vassals, dwarfs) that give you everything you need to wage war.

	What is important in my life, sir?
	Kill your foes, that are our foes. Serve Death as long as you can, and
then die. Never betray Death or your Regiment. With tools, do as you like, but with your deathbrothers, die for them, as they will die for you. Dying is something we all will do. Punish betrayers, as they not only offend us, but offend Death too. Never simply kill them, as that is a merciful release from pain. The punishment must be fit to the fault.
	Who rules us, sir?
	Lord Death on a Horse is still the Invincible Warlord. His decisions
are final. The War Council shapes the plans that will bring Death to all. Never argue their plans, as they work many years in advance.

        The appointed Warchief leads the regiments in battle and siege. Her authority is absolute, until she fails. The first task of a recently appointed Warchief is to dispose of the previous one. Each Regiment has its own structure, from the rigidly organized Black Spears, to the disorganized Lead Mauls. Obey always your appointed leader, as death only comes once, but punishment can be very long.

	What makes a warrior great, sir?
	Many things: his combat ability, but in battle a man is nothing without
his brothers, so teamwork is important. Later, insight, so you know what will happen and why, and charisma, to make men follow you, will make you a leader. But devotion to Death is the most important, as that will bring out your qualities, but without it, you are an enemy. A dead enemy.
	What is the difference between Man and Woman, sir?
	They are the two sides of humankind, and each has its own advantages
and disadvantages. As the End approaches, the differences blur. For Death both are the same.
	What is evil, sir?
	Everything that retards the End of the World, be it a hesitant blow to
an enemy, a defeat of our army, or a season of peace.
	What is my lot in life, sir?
	Kill, kill, and then die. At least you know your lot in life.
	How do we deal with others, sir?
	If they are strong, we fight (by all means) till they are weak. When
they are weak we will make them our tool, or destroy them utterly. It is better if others weaken your enemy, as they will also be weaker when their time comes.
	Who are our enemies, sir?
	All. However those capable of resistance must be destroyed first.
	What is there to do around here, sir?
	You have your duties to perform, as outlined by your File Leader. In
your free time you can do as you please, as long as that does not interfere with your duties and your Deathbrothers/sisters. However do not forget that slaves are the tools that help bring the End of the World. Although one will make no difference, several will bring the wrath of your superiors. And if you have nothing to do now, I will teach you some tricks of the Greatsword.