Hell is other peoples spelling?

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 13:14:48 +0800

>>I suspect the fourth Hell is still the worst, though. The Fourth Hell is one
>>of the four Hells of Dara Happan myth, and is the place of punishment and
>>monsters, while the fifth hell seems to be where the things from outside
>>Dara Happan myth comes from - at least it is the source of the dijijelm.
>
>C'mon David! What's the point of having Seven Hells if only the Fourth
>One is the Worst? Going by the example of Dante, the Worst Hell should
>be the Seventh Hell ruled over by the Evil Ganesatarus.

        I think the 7th Hell is either the best or the most mysterious - its the genuine Lunar one, probably, and the end of the journey. The 6th may be the worst. Taking my theory that the 6th is the annexed Pentan Hell, then it seems to be the one the Lunars fear the most, and the place where their worst criminals are cast.

        I think I am thinking more in terms of a heroes journey sort of situation, where the worst parts are near the middle, and the good bit is at the end. The 6th, in this scheme, is not neccessarily the worst because while its inhabitants are the worst they do not trouble good Lunars (like Yara Aranis and her mother). The fourth, in this scheme, is the worst because it is where Danfive Xaron holds sway and where good Lunar citizens may be punished for their sins. Only the really really bad criminals end up in the 6th Hell.

        I think the Dara Happans think the 5th Hell must be even worse than the fourth, but the less xenophobic Lunars do not think so.

        Note that you then have a nice progression from the Dara Happan myth, where your only hope was to go to Heaven directly because Hell was entirely bad, to the Lunar version, which shows you a way out of the Dara Happan Hell is you are wise in the Lunar way. Thus the Lunar way offers hope to those (like criminals or those who have worshipped bad gods) that the Dara Happans would consider condemned with no hope of reachine Heaven.

>Also, more
>native English speakers spell color "color". Shape up.

        The many logical and sensible rejoinders to this are so obvious as to not be worth repeating. They can probably be summarised as 'If your entire nation chooses to spell the word incorrectly with you, why is that a reason why I should?' :-). Away with all such comments. Leave us to our quaint ways. Spelling flames are a tedious waste of time at best, exceptionally ones so obviously dubious.

        Cheers

                David
Computing Officer    |" Life is easily understood as bit strings of logical
Arts Faculty UWA     |depth greater than their length" - Rebis, Doom Patrol
davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au |" Do not think, HIT, it is our way" - Milk & Cheese