MDD

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 15:13:06 +0100

Concerning the various opinions on MGF, MLTGF, MLD and MCI i think most/all of us agree that Glorantha should be an enjoyable campaign/scenario setting.

However, we're not going to agree on the specifics. And that is a Good Thing. Because of the Maximum Digest Diversity (MDD) lots of different opinions and aspects are presented (not to mention the usually excellent articles), which forces us to think again on our conception of Glorantha, and possibly to remodel it according to someone else's better ideas.

My Glorantha has changed a lot and is still changing since i got sucked into the gravitational well of the Digest (i can't get out of it). Which is Good.

Anyway, the main point is about how we should use the digest. It's counter-productive to just say that something is poorly thought out and not present an alternative idea, or an explanation of why you thought the article was bad.

If i don't have anything productive to say on someone's posting, or can't come up with an alternative version, i don't say anything (i know, i've been remarkably quiet lately).

One very important part of the spirit of MDD is encouragement. If someone writes something which you find very good, then say so - publicly or in private. Most of us, including myself, read and archive the good stuff, but never tell the author how good it was. I, for one, hope to better my ways in this respect.

The digest is not an arena, where differing ideas fight it out to prove which one should be made canon, but a forum where the differing ideas can be made better by input from others.

Perhaps all this is self-evident for most of you, but i thought it needed to be said.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but the responses to John's Principles actually didn't disagree with them - they all said the same thing that John was trying to say, but in other words, even if they tried to state otherwise.

Why don't interpret the spirit of the postings instead of the letters?

Michael, the self-proclaimed prophet of MDD, having suffered from indigestion during the weekend as the mail server was down.