Doing evil against the KOW

From: ANDOVER_at_delphi.com
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 1995 22:48:58 -0500 (EST)

David Dunham points out that Malia plagues and tapping are major sins according to great religions in Glorantha. I thought that was my point! The argument that doing bad things against an enemy will make you just like them was used in World War II, but the similarity between the modern Western world and nazi Germany does not exactly leap to the eye. Th argument that the Cold War would turn the West into an analogue of the Soviet system was a commonplace (used frex in Blish's Okie future history) but it seems to have been equally inaccurate.
My point is that tapping, for example, is forbidden to varying degrees by Malkioni sects, on the basis of "things you love." Given the nature of the KOW, can't you imagine a "dispensation" of some sort for use against them? As for plagues, there seems to be no extant Gloranthan example of biological warfare between humans (eleves and humans clearly do engage in biological warfare of a sort against each other, or at the least ecological warfare). Societies can do awful things if they fear annihilation. But that does not mean that such things become commonplace. Gas warfare, common in WW I, was not used in War II and has only been seen in a few places since 1918 (Iran-  being the most prominent). The use of a-bombs in 1945 did not lead to their use afterwards, but rather to a half-century without them being used. I want the moral tests imposed by fighting the KOW to be a bit more complex than "if you do this you are just like them." Jim Chapin