Holidays in Hell

From: David Cake <davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 15:47:57 +0800

        (withering in the damning fire of David Dunhams grammar flame)

>The Lunar Cycle is to go deep into the Pits of Hell and then come out
>into the Light.

        I agree. Bad Dara Happans go down and down through the Hells. The good peasants stop at Hell 3, bad people go down to Hell 4 (and probably stay there), and only the truly righteous by Dara Happan standards (sorry, Pelorian peasantry not eligible) get to go up to Heaven. The Lunars, on the other hand, believe that anyone that truly follows the Lunar path can make their way out of the 4th Hell (to the Dara Happans, the 4th Hell is eternal damnation, but to the Lunars it is Purgatory), and eventually to Lunar paradise. To the Dara Happans, a man who has committed vicious and evil criminal acts at some point in his life really has very little hope of redemption, but to the Lunars such a person can be forgiven if they follow the right path, which includes surviving the suffering of the 4th Hell as Danfive survived. There is some scope for an Old/New Testament analogy here, but I wouldn't want to unduly stress that idea.

>Personally I think the Lunars do not believe that Lodril's Underworld
>is a part of Hell as Plentonius claims but that Hell begins at the
>regions beneath Lodril's Palace.

        Remember the Dara Happans (and presumably the Lunars) use the term Hell to mean just about anything beneath their feet. Hell does not necessarily denote a place of suffering as we think of it, though to a Yelmite zealot anything beneath the ground is cut off from Yelms light and therefore suffering terribly even if they don't know it.

        So I think Hell begins just underneath their sandals. That is only the first Hell, of course. I thought it was the Fourth Hell that began in the regions underneath Lodrils Palace.

        I think the Dara Happans think of Lodrils Underworld similarly to the way medieval Europeans thought of the areas of the afterlife set aside for the 'virtuous pagans'. Not really bad, and the ignorant fools probably even think its good, but nothing like the glorious Heaven where the truly virtuous man goes.

        Cheers
                David
Computing Officer    |" Life is easily understood as bit strings of logical
Arts Faculty UWA     |depth greater than their length" - Rebis, Doom Patrol
davidc_at_cs.uwa.edu.au |" Do not think, HIT, it is our way" - Milk & Cheese