Colour Magic

From: Alex Ferguson <alex_at_dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 95 12:29:24 GMT

This is not a drill, this is me making a brief return to comment on:

[Andrew Behan and Peter Metcalfe query and discuss Vorumai Colour Magic]

Peter's summary is pretty to-the-point, although the exact answer to Andrew's question is something the V-in would argue about endlessly themselves, in my conception. But a fairly safe answer would be to say "Vorumai Colour Magic (in whatever form) is more similar to Kralori mysticism than it is to Theyalan Theism", if that's of any use to anyone. (Hence I'd quibble that Peter's description makes the approaches sound somewhat too theistic, though doubtless mainly analogy was at work here.) Peter is again correct when he said we didn't come up with any Actual Rules, but the general thought was that it'd be, in essence, some unspecified variant on the Mysticism rules (themselves a moving target, of course.)

But here's the much bigger But; not only are our group's thoughts unofficial, from what I've seen of the Oceans book draft material, they're Anti-Official. This material, which I can't discuss in detail here lest Steve Martin Do My Head Right In differs in all sorts of ways, down to linguistic structure, names of the gods (other than those that appear in GoG, mercifully), the whole basic banana. Not that Oceans is going to go into much detail about Vormain anyway, but enough to cut the feet out from the Gang of Four's ideas. Oh well. Perhaps the best thing is to wait until Oceans is out and retrofit some of these notions to the Official Line. Though I'm told that Oceans may possibly ignore Vormain entirely, leaving the possibility open for trouble-makers such as myself to agitate for a different Vormain in some later treatment.

Hope the above doesn't ruin too many days or tread on too many toes. On a lighter note, can anyone remind me where History of the Lunar Empire parts #0, #1, #5, and #6 appeared? I know some (but not all?) appeared in Wyrm's Footnotes, some in Heroes, but something less spectacularly OOP would be nice. If I'm onto the proverbial plums, is anyone willing to be bribed into sending me copies? (Yo, Sam, you have at least one of these, don't you?)

Slainte,
Alex.