Mysticism and Colors

From: TimTorres_at_aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 11:12:37 -0500

I did some more thinking (i.e. procrastinating from other responsibilities) on these subjects.
COLORS: Works for me if I think of color magic as an independent magic system which might also be manipulated by cults. In my mind, the 5+0 colors represent spiritual vibrations which are qualitatively and quantitatively different. I guess in practice, it still ends up parallelling runic systems. MYSTICISM: I liked Andrew Behan's "Mysticism vs. Personality" consideration.  However, I can't agree that Ceremony and Mysticism are incompatible. If Andrew meant that ceremony can't be used to raise the chance of "success" (as it is in sorcery) than, OK, I agree. My own studies and personal mystical experiences have led me to conclude that mystics can "happen" and then have no control over the experience and the power that is manifested. Many then spend the rest of their lives trying to duplicate the experience (often through ritual practices). OTOH, it seems obvious that ceremony increases the likelihood that the mystic will be in the right state of mind to recognize and learn from chance (random, fated, or divinely ordered?) successes. Hence, frex, meditation.
COLOR MYSTICISM: I'm picturing a color mystic who finds herself serendipitously "in tune" with a color. She's outside the established organizations. She may even experiment and find herself progressing through experiences with "higher" colors until reaching the void (was it sapphire?).  If she lacks restraint and proper reverence for the forces she is dealing with . . . God Learner!
. . . Tim