RQ CON DOWN UNDER

From: John Hughes <nysalor_at_spirit.com.au>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 20:18:10 +1000

Howdy Folks

Here's the full listing for the Con, in two parts.

First there was RQ Con I in Baltimore, January 1994; then RQ Con II in San Francisco, January 1995; now...

**RQ CON DOWN UNDER**
January 19-21st, 1996
Bayswater Primary School, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

A convention for RuneQuest and the world of Glorantha... ...and the other great games produced by Chaosium: Pendragon, Call of Cthulhu, Elric, Nephilim, Credo, Dragon Pass

Featuring:
* Tournaments

With our Special Guest of Honour:
****Greg Stafford****

Creator of Glorantha and designer of RuneQuest and Pendragon

*FEATURE EVENT
"HOME OF THE BOLD" LARP/FREEFORM

WILL THE PROUD CITY OF BOLDHOME ERUPT INTO THE FLAMES OF REBELLION? OR CAN THE PERFIDIOUS LUNAR EMPIRE CRUSH THE REVOLT? Be a Lunar occupier, a Sartarite rebel, or an independent being courted by both sides. Roles for heroes and villains, scholars and fools, dedicated scenery-chewers, backroom deal-makers, witty pranksters, and those who just want to soak up the local colour.

**No RuneQuest or Glorantha knowledge is necessary!**

All participants receive the Rough Guide to Boldhome, a limited edition book detailing the fabled city, featuring material and maps by Greg Stafford.

Now that the Poms and the Yanks have had a go at Home of the Bold, it's only fair we Aussies get a crack at it. After all, Freeforming/LARPing began in Australia, didn't it!

Home of the Bold is presented by our special UK imports David Hall, Kevin Jacklin and Nick Brooke and is sponsored by Argan Lager, the troll beer that reaches parts human beers can't.

**Places are strictly limited to 77, and we have a small number of
vacancies left, so hurry and book now!**

EVENTS TOURNAMENTS
A selection of tournaments, freeforms, multiforms and LARPs for all of Chaosium's great games, and more! All tournaments are single session and for 5 players, unless noted.

*RQ - Glorantha*

THE SCARLET MOONFLOWER IN PENT
By Mark Holsworth

Selerus is the Scarlet Moonflower; his ability to escape from impossible situations and to disguise himself as a Pentian nomad have made him a legend. He is the Lunars' best hope in gaining intelligence on the nomad hordes that for centuries have threatened the Empire.
...And you are going with him into Pent. This scenario presumes that the players know very little about Pent and serves as an introduction to the culture. [4 players]

A MATTER OF BLOOD
By Peter Loft

"So the fool Sartar's Kingdom is at an end. He came, and now his kingdom is ruled by others. Such is the lot of mortals and their works. A time too will come when the Lunars will be gone; and yet we will remain here in our mountain eyrie, protected by our sweet blood - so carefully tended, so carefully culled. So cease your worries and rather rejoice for have we not defeated time and been given the dark pleasure of tipping power from a screaming world..." [4 players]

The Wyrm's Footprint Presents...
MUSIK OF THE SPEARS
A storytelling heroquest by John Hughes.

"In the broken land where the Wind has ceased In the anguished land where the Breath has died They reach from the Great Above to the Great Below."

Far Point. The Hero Wars.
Orlanth's Eternal Wind has ceased.
What has happened to our God?

"I give you a tale of learning to Breathe, Of Spear Music, Dancing Shadows,
And the Star that pierces through Cloud."

Multiform, five players.

AN EMBARRASSMENT OF RICHES Peasant Finds Weight in Gold!

Shame possessing gold is a maiming offence in Jonatela. By Mike Dawson, author of Strangers in Prax and Shadows on the Borderlands.

THE TARSH WAR
By Chris Gidlow - Author of CREDO

Join Lunar general Livius Thrax and his army as they march into rebellious Tarsh. A mini-freeform for 12 players.

RUNE METAL JACKET March, march, march, march... that's all you seem to do . You signed up in the Empire's Legions to see the world, and by the Bat, you've seen it: on foot." A Day in the Life of five common rankers in the Lunar Army by Michael O'Brien, author of Sun County, Strangers in Prax and currently working on the forthcoming Soldiers of the Red Moon.

SEVEN MOTHERS DO 'AVE 'EM or Amazon Women of the Red Moon. An old convention favourite... Baboons and Ballistas don't mix! By the Wyrm's Footprint

*Pendragon*

THE ADVENTURE OF THE MAY QUEEN AND THE ROSEBRIAR KNIGHT By Gary Fay & Lyn James

Sister awake! Close not your eyes!
The Day her light discloses
And the bright morning doth arise
Out of her bed of roses

Therefore awake! Make haste. I say
And let us, without slaying
All of our gowns of green so gay
Into the Park a-maying

       trad. British Folk Song

A Pendragon adventure for 5 knights errant, featuring a damsel in distress, a faerie curse, chivalric ideals, the trials of love, the language of the rose, a maypole of thorns and a touch of Morris Dancing...

THE LOYALTY OF MEN It is 518 AD.
He found his country divided, in ruins.
He re-built it.
He gave it hope and pride again.
He formed an order of fighting men.
He re-conquered the lands that had been lost. But the cost was so high
And it ended in defeat, death and destruction.

A Pendragon experience about Good, Evil and roleplaying, by Michael Hitchens.
Warning: Some material may offend. Acceptance of entrants under 18 years of age is at the discretion of the designer.

*Call of Cthulhu*

THE REAL THING: THE GILDED AGE There are certain tides in the affairs of men, certain washes that carry men along, flowing like mighty rivers to create the sea of troubles we know as history. Out of your depth now, in a lawless time. Going down, beneath the waves of destiny. Awash in a daze of thought, a crazed torrent of imagery... Smiling men and women... Ice cubes... Temperance meetings... The Lord Rising, life added...

Far away, voices conspire quietly, a red-lit darkness. Murky vats of, of, of.. something half obscure the figures distorting their forms until they scarcely appear human, and you cannot quite make out what they say. Names are not spoken - not to be spoken? The wine dark liquids are packed and shipped to an eager populace, soon to be slaves.

If there are some things that man was not meant to know, is it possible also that there exist things man was not meant to drink?

There is a certain tide in the affairs of men, certain washes that carry men along, flowing like mighty rivers to create the sea of troubles we know as history...

Ever wondered what liquid it is?

A Call of Cthulhu Investigation by Luke Pinkerton

*Elric/Stormbringer

Wes Nicholson's
DEBT OF HONOUR 5 Melniboneans must repay a debt at the lost city of Tannelorn or die - but where is it? Sponsored by the RPGA

DOWN BY LAW, or, HONOUR AMONGST CHAOS

Vilmir, a nation crippled by the struggle for power between aging King Naclon and Cardinal Garrick of the Church of Law. Jadmar, its capital, crowded streets sweltering in the summer heat. Tempers flare, plots thicken. Heresy. Pronouncements. Blood.

For five courtiers by Richard Watts.

*Nephilim*

THE FIGURE IN THE CENTRE,
a thin non-descript character of indeterminate sex wearing robes of the Inner Circle of the Emperor Arcanum, begins to speak in a querulous tone:

"An age is ending, another is about to begin. All Nephilim will incarnate in this era, to strive for Agartha, to combat the mortals who oppose them. In this age of technology and uncertainty we need a leader with great wisdom - someone who will be unbiased by Arcanum allegiances or Metamorphoses. We need Akhenaton again."

A Nephilim tournament for 5 people, written by Judy Routt.

*Pendragon Pass - Pendragon Rules for Glorantha*

RIDERS OF THE SUN You're one of the Bemuri, the cattle hsunchen of Ralios. As a follower of the Bull, you can expect battle and sex -- until the outsiders show up.
They have strange magic, but are they friend or foe? By David Dunham - characters created as part of the session - find out about PD Pass!

*Live Action Trollball*

Our demonstration sport for the Sydney 2000 Olympics. Both slo-mo touch and full-crunch variants. Bring yer rubber chicken!

*Also at the Con*

CREDO
Credo II - the Great Persecutions!

DRAGON PASS
Fiendish scenarios presented by Robert McArthur.

BODGERS
Basic One Dice Gloranthan Epic Roleplaying System.

OPEN GAMING ROOM CONTINUED IN PART 2.