Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #256

From: Steve Lieb <liebx004_at_maroon.tc.umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 1995 23:08:41 -0600

>Subject: Re: Exploding Ulerian were-hobbit

>You have a wonderfully distorted mind. I WILL use your twisted creation in
>my campaign, even if they won't be hobbits, but some other fey forest being
>(hey, you can find ANYTHING in the Wilds of Far Point).
>
>Could the were-hobbits be a twisted type of Boggle? Or Could the Exploding
>Ulerian Were-ness be caused by possession by such a Boggle?
>
>If the condition is caused by possession, might the explosion be the
>Ultimate Orgasm, after which the now late exploder's soul travels to the
>Ulerian Palace of Bliss?

I imagine that the were hobbits are, mythically, the creation of a very strange heroquest that went a bit astray.

I would also think that after the explosion, the little rascals ARE spending their 'down-time' (or would that be up-time?) at "Uleria's Place" (due to a mis-
transcription by a Carmanian monk, this was noted as "Palace" - one of the little buggers was heard to mumble upon his return "mirror ball...flashing lights...
ceiling mirrors....heart-shaped bed...hot tub..." Clearly, this is not a palace but a "place" in the swankiest definition thereof.

One came back refusing to wear anything but smoking jackets, and would only answer
to the moniker "Hef".

Go figure.

> 7) Read a selection of Napoleonic sailing tales. The
>Hornblower stories by C. S. Forester are fine, but those about Jack
>Aubrey and Stephen Maturin are exceedingly good (can't remember the
>author's name, sorry -- one of the books is "The 13 Gun Salute")
>There's heaps of other such authors, varying enormously in quality,
>though usually the worst are not as bad as a bad fantasy author.

The Aubrey and Maturin novels are indeed excellent, they are by Patrick O'Brien. "post-Captain" "Master & Commander" "HMS Surprise" among many others.