Re: Peter's maunderings

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 1995 00:30:36 MET

Peter Metcalfe in reply to
> Loren Miller:
> Purely as a matter of taste, I would suggest the following emendations:

(Things I agree with deleted:)

> Similarly I don't think the Carmanians would have described
> themselves as Hrestoli. Malkioni would be the word they would
> use IMO.

Actually, their term of choce would have been "us", and that's different from "them". IMO Hrestoli is interchangable for 95% of the mostly "monotheist" Malkioni, and serves as a distinguisher vs. both the Brithini and the full Henotheism of Arkat's heirs. At least before Rokarism was invented.

> Or perhaps Talori after their most recent heroic leader.

Then would you coin the early 2nd Age Seshnegi as Gerlanti? Still, Talori might be ther definition of their own local practises when comparing with their vile heretic neighbours in the Janubian territories, who would be thrown together with Syanthir's lot by outsiders.

> The eponym of Hrestoli really comes into play in Loskalm
> after they kicked out the God Learners and sought to return to
> the pious faith that existed after Hrestol's Martyrdom (of which
> Siglat's Dream was the most recent and effective).

I don't think so. IMO already the people of Akem thought of themselves as Hrestoli, to distinguish themselves from the Malkioni who still followed Froalar's way, and the Brithini.

> The Saints list is fine but I'm a bit iffy about Talor being
> viewed as Arkat's lieutenant by the Carmanians. This is akin
> to saying that Churchill was Stalin's lieutenant during the
> Second World War IMO.

In some obscure sources Gerlant and Talor are even named sons of Arkat.

>>Attitude Towards Other Sects

> My main gripe is that this is _too_ comprehensive and not
> comprehensive at the same time. Only now are the Carmanians
> getting reality checks on what they think they know about
> the Ralians and the Seshnegi.

Still they might have known post-God Learner Fronela during the reign of Nadar the Avenger when they showed up at Eastpoint.

>>Hrestoli
>>Rokari
>>Castle Coast Seshnegi

> I would groups these churchs under the same banner. They
> are all descendants of the God Learner Church of the
> Invisible God (Gack! Spit). The Carmanian views would be
> mainly based on what they know about the Hrestoli. They
> would assume that the Seshnegi are the same and think that
> the Castle Coast is a part of the Kingdom of Seshnela.

They might still remember the linealist/idealist schisma of Seshnela, and identify the Rokari with the linealists and the Castle Coast refugees with the idealists, striking pretty close to home. Especially since the mercenaries in Lunar Dragon Pass encountered Rokari from Malkonwal, and may have brought home news of the vile Seshnegi.

How many True Mostali can Dance on a Cogwheel?

Peter wants to crush numbers:
>>>45 True Mostali is far too many IMO. I only know of about 10 and >>>there could be another 10.

> Martin Crim:

>>I'm going to have to call you on this one. Just what published or >>unpublished sources are you using for this bald statement?

And more I agree with.

Peter again:
> And which part of 'and there could be another 10' did you not
> understand? My reason for making the True Mostali so few in
> number is based on the observation that they seemed to be the
> leaders of Dwarf Society wherever they dwelt. Because of this,
> the odds are that the existance of True Mostali becomes known
> to the humans/outsiders. Marteler and Isidilian dominate the
> conclaves in which they dwell and appear to share power with
> no other True Mostali, frex.

Both Martaler and Isidilian are propagating Mostali heresies of individualism and openhandism, to varying degree, and have overstepped their castes' responsibilities and strictures many times. Or is it the place of Brass Mostali to bring up a war and fight hand-to-hand with the Only Old One? That's for the Iron caste to do. Does a Quicksilver Mostali give council? Wouldn't this be in the domain of the Gold caste?

I agree that most True Mostali would be revered leaders, foremen or masters. But would they necessarily lead in aspects not pertaining to their own caste's interests and duties? I don't think so.

I won't give a figure, but I feel that there should be more True Mostali in Greater Genertela (Theyalan plus Western plus Solar plus Wastes) than Luatha.