Personality/Humakti Mystics

From: TimTorres_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 08:39:16 -0500

Andrew, > Erasing your personality is a good idea because we are all facets of Ourouboros, the Cosmic Dragon. Our conviction that we are discrete individuals hides the glory of our true nature from us. By transcending/annihilating the individualistic ego we can become one with Nature! <
Union with God, the Void, Nature, the Force, Tao, Allah, etc can only be achieved by extinguishing personality. Superficial differences exist between the various monotheistic, pantheistic, panentheistic, and/or atheistic belief systems. Frex, Christian mystics do not erase personality, per se, but the practical effect is similar. Polytheistic mystics (those who personally recognize the existence of multiple distinct gods) might differ fundamentally on the role and ultimate nature of personality. So as a game system, depends in part on the underlying "reality."
I would even like to see a mystic who believes the only Truth is Death.  There are no gods. This mystic, through his pursuit of both Death and Truth submerges his personality into that of ultimate unifying Truth (Death). In practice, he becomes one with his sword, and in the process, comes face to face with Death. If your campaign accepts Humakt as "real," then this mystic may unknowingly be a Humakti mystic. The mystic, OTOH, may consider orthodox Humakti cultists to be immature and needy in their reliance on this "god."  In the same way, many mystics view the dogma and ceremony of established religions of their times as immature and incomplete versions of their own belief systems.
. . . Tim