Why can't morokanth throw rocks?

From: Neil Smith <NSMITH_at_dmu.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 15:46:45 GMT

At the risk of re-starting an old discussion (but at least it will be better than the KoW 8-), why can't morokanth throw rocks? After all, they have the manual dexterity to make and use spears, and to tie herd men together, so I'd have thought they should be able to pick up and lob a stone. The only thing that will prevent them using thrown weapons effectively would then be the structure of their shoulder, not their lack of thumbs - if they can't draw their arm back, they can't give much energy to a projectile.

But even if their shoulders prevent them effictively throwing things, I'd have thought they could use slings. Take a piece of cloth, sew a small loop into one end. Slip that loop over your little finger, hold the other end under your fore-finger and you have a sling. Pop in a stone, twiddle your wrist to bring it up to speed and open your hand at the right time to release the stone and kill your enemy. Granted, a lack of thumbs would drop the rate of fire as the morokanth fumbles for another stone (to 1/MR? Or 1/ 2MR?), but it shouldn't affect the accuracy of the shot. Slings are also a mythically sensible weapon for darkness folk. What do people think?

And, speaking of goldfish, it struck me while watching Star Trek last night - all Klingons are closet Storm Bulls! Do the examiners think this is a valid comparison? Is it useful for portraying the beserks?

TTFN, Neil.