Re: No Personality

From: Brent Michael Krupp <fletcher_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 09:58:12 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 8 Dec 1995 mr happy <ajbehan_at_tcd.ie> wrote:

> Nils asks why anyone would want to erase their own personality. Peter
> refered to Codex #3. I prefered the presentation of this in Wyrms
> Footnotes (#14?) It presented 'newts starting out with rounded
> personalities which they intentionally erase over the centuries (more or
> less the opposite of Sandy's version.

Ummm, that is *not* how the presentation in Wyrm's Footnotes has it. In WF #14, Dragonewts are presented as having virtually no control over their personality or behavior on any front (in game terms, they can only control themselves 2% of them time as young cresteds). As they grow in age and experience, they *increase* their ability to control themselves, and only progress from crested to beaked or beaked to tailed, etc. as they master various aspects of themselves.

This isn't erasing their personality, it is simply bringing it under conscious control. It's the young ones that have little personality and act largely by instinct or whim.

Brent Krupp (fletcher_at_u.washington.edu) http://weber.u.washington.edu/~fletcher/ "In the faculty of writing nonsense, stupidity is no match for genius."