Re: Glorantha Digest V2 #261

From: Delecti_at_aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 15:49:37 -0500

Jim Chapin

In a message dated 95-12-08 00:52:29 EST, he writes:

> Lest it be thought that advanced nations don't have their own strange
>forms of insanity, here are three "problems" that the United States and,
>increasingly other advanced nations have that Third World nations don't
>recognize: anorexia, ADD (attention-deficit disorder) and CFS (chronic
>fatigue syndrome.

It is interesting as a side note that some experts blame our "problems" on our society (some blame upbringing, stress, etc. others blame the various poisons we "inflict" upon ourselves daily), while others say they are only now recognized due to our need to label everything. Due to my family's experience (My 6 year old daughter was recently diagnosed as having ADD) I tend to think ADD (due to an enormous amount of reading) is due to the "poisons" (a general label, but basicly referring to the things we eat breath and are exposed to all the time), and thus not an upbringing or stress problem. I am not as well informed on the others. There are many "enviromental" areas in Glorantha (Blue Moon Plateau, Dead Place, etc. would cause the more significant "problem" syndromes) which could make for interesting cultural "differences" as Jim noted.

Scott
Delecti_at_aol.com