True Mostali Thread

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 1995 18:24:08 +1300

Martin Crim:

Me>>If you have a better idea on how True Mostali fit into Dwarf society
>>other than the model I have proposed (True Mostali as prominent
>>leaders), I would be all to keen to hear it.

>I believe I have already explained why humans know little about Mostali
>leadership, and what they've been told they ought to be skeptical about.

The 'lying to filth' only applies to what the local humans know. I ignored it before as it was only tangential to the question about what the _actual_number_ of True Mostali was. The 'filth' can weed out the disinformation by talking with Openhandists and/or Apostate Mostali who would be more than happy (given the right payment) to correct the 'filth', frex.

Me>>Furthermore the fact
>>that it's based on a hunch is largely irrelevant. What do you think
>>goes on in this digest anyhow?

>I think it's pretty relevant whether you're relating something from a
>published or otherwise official source, or making it up yourself. If you'd
>labelled your suppositions as such, we wouldn't have to waste bandwith with
>this discussion.

Here is the passage that triggered your sensitivities and the consequent waste of bandwidth:

Me>>45 True Mostali is far too many IMO.  I only know of about 10 and

>>there could be another 10. ^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^

I do wonder what bandwidth would have been wasted had I not put those words in. I had listed the names of the known dwarves elsewhere in the post and so far I haven't seen any critique of those.

>One can assume that the True Mostali are leaders without assuming that
>they'd get involved in the Broken Council, even if the "Diamond" honorific
>necessarily implies a Clay Dwarf. Perhaps they had better things to do.

All this and more was covered by the catchall phrase 'and there could be another 10'. For instance, the Nidan Decamony only sent along a Diamondwarf along to the proceedings. The actual council could have had a number of or a majority of True Mostali who probably didn't want to be contaminated by the proceedings.

If you have any cogent information as to the reason why my 'hunch' is completely and utterly wrong then feel free to say so. If you have a different interpretation on how the True Mostali interact with Dwarf Civilisation, necessitating a vastly larger number (ie a thousand) of True Mostali, then I would be keen to hear it. But if you are just going to comment about how I'm merely posting hunches and assumptions to the list then I can only say that I think everybody already knows this.

Ah yes. Before I forget. All assumptions in this and others posts to the digest from me are mine and mine alone. If it doesn't 'feel right' or gibe with your vision of Glorantha, feel free to disregard completely and utterly anything I have said.

Phew. I hope I shan't have to say that more than once but then again I thought it was the standard for interpreting posts to the digest for everyone.