Re: True Mostali, number of, meta-discusssion

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 13:59:12 -0500

In Glorantha Digest V2 #266, Peter Metcalfe writes:

>The 'filth' can weed
>out the disinformation by talking with Openhandists and/or Apostate
>Mostali who would be more than happy (given the right payment) to
>correct the 'filth', frex.

I guess I have more of a "Paranoia" view of the Mostali. "The World Machine is your friend. Trust no one. Keep your flintlock handy." (Credit to Carl Fink, I think, for this twist.) All information is on a need-to-know basis... if it's _that_ accessible. Even Openhandists only cooperate with filth to the extent needed to further the Repair.

Human (showing off his command of spoken Mostali): "How many True Mostali existing-state this-repair-cycle?"

Openhandist Dwarf: "Insufficient security clearance for you knowledge of Leader group existence. Begin-state you preparation for termination."

I.e., "how dare this filth know of the difference between clay and ancient Mostali?!"

We know humans DO know about True Mostali, but do we know that the Mostali know they know?

And actually, Peter, it was the "and there might be another ten" that stuck in my craw, not the qualified statements before that. If you want to tell us what mythic, literary, game-level, or other reason you have for that figure, feel free. Until then, I'm content to say "no one from whom PC's can get accurate information knows the correct answer to that question." And if it gets to be important in my campaign or something I'm writing, I'll figure it out.

Peter again:
>However I believe that the Clay Dwarves are so intent trying
>to model themselves on their Metal Archetype that they are busy
>repressing any thoughts that are not part of their chosen caste.
>If they do not do so, then their chances of attaining Diamondwarf
>Status is reduced.

Excellent point. "Grubby little ambitious brown-nosing fanatics," the ancient Mostali grumble.

Now, the number of Uzuz--that's a question that ought to be answered.