Western delvings

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_sartar.toppoint.de>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 1995 18:36:54 MET

First of all: I'm in this particular discussion for a good reason: I'm trying to write up histories of Ralios, and I am trying to find out what really happened. (There will be another bilingual freeform at German RQ-Con '96, which will be played in the castle of Kustria temporarily transferred to castle Stahleck (steel corner, or edge), above the Rhine a bit downriver from the Main confluence. And there will be another con booklet... This time produced in advance, I hope <blushes>.)

Still, "histories": I need a Vesmonstran perspective, an Arkat-sympathising perspective and a Seshnegi/Arkat-despising perspective, at least. Oh, a troll history, too (there will be several trolls involved). Around this, I nevertheless need some facts, and disagreeing with Peter has provided me already with several facts I'd have overseen otherwise.

Martin Crim to Peter and me:

> I love this discussion. I think that the question of terms (or Question
> of Terms, as Gloranthans might put it) is a very Vexed and Nice Question.
> By that, I mean that Gloranthans argue endlessly about it. I especially
> loved the Atomists, and wish I had written that (you will, Oscar, you
> will). I hereby adopt the terms Talorist, Gerlantist, Atomist (especially),
> and Froalarian. Keep it up!

> This dialectical (actually multi-threaded)
> process is much better for developing Malkioni history than anything
> one person could produce.

Several contradictory accounts of history, too. Any volunteers?

> My humble opinion is that late 3rd age
> Glorantha is about ready for a Gibbon-like historian, who will put
> together what looks like a rational and authoritative treatise on
> church history, like the famous chapter in the Decline And Fall of
> the Roman Empire. Until we find that historian, we're groping in the
> fog of conflicting partisan opinions, flawed secondary sources, and the
> irreducible uncertainty of any historical study. What fun!

> I have to agree with Peter M. (that's twice now) about Carmanian
> attitudes toward Talor. No way is he Arkat's lieutenant.

He grew out of that role, if he ever occupied it, that's for sure. Does Harmast Barefoot figure anywhere in Talor's legend, or is he ignored in Fronela except in Oranor?

And: When did Harmast's second expedition contact Talor? The Fronelan Timeline in Codex 2 by Mark Sabalauskas says "c.420 Sir Talor joins with heroes from other lands. Great oaths are sworn against the Gbaji cult."

However, Harmast's first LBQ occurred around 425 when Arkat failed before Kartolin Castle in a big way and was imprisoned by priests of Deshkorgos.

So when did Harmast's secand quest reach Talor? And what did they do there?

> As Mike
> Dawson pointed out in his Malkionism seminar at Convulsions (available
> real soon in the post-con book),

Real soon?

> there is a continuum of attitude about
> Arkat, all the way from "he's the savior" to "he's the devil."

To be explored in "Rise of Ralios" (plug, plug).

> The
> Carmanians, as spiritual descendants of Talor (Arkat's rival in many
> ways), would most likely fall toward the anti-Arkat end of the spectrum.

Hmm. Talor was Arkat's rival, not enemy; both followed the same goal, the destruction of Gbaji and his minions. I think that their attitude to Arkat would be balanced. In some sources Syranthir is even called an ally of the Dark Empire, so I find it difficult to believe that they are really that far on the anti-Arkat side. About as Arkat-friendly as my view on the Aeolians, I'd say - "Arkat was a great man, but he also made great errors. Don't try that at home."