Carmanian Orthodoxy emendations

From: Loren Miller <Loren.Miller_at_marketing.wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 14:15:34 EST

Post most furor, here are most of the changes I've put into my working copy of the Carmanian Orthodoxy creed. Note that I've adopted Nick's take on foreign religions wholesale, though I may edit out a "Pah!" here and there.

HISTORY When the evil Godlearners were beginning their conquest of the west, General Syranthir Forefront gathered together his people, a hundred hundreds of warriors, advisors, and nobles, and led them on the Eastfaring quest, out of the hell that Fronela had become, finally finding refuge in a cold land east of the Sweet Sea. The ten-thousand settled there, in the rich lands of the Oronin River Valley.

THEOLOGY The Good God is Supreme among all the gods. He is named Idovanus by the Magi. The Red Goddess, his favorite and best-beloved child, transmits his blessing to us. Shah Karmanos, who walked the Bridge of Swords to Paradise, was the last and greatest prophet of the Good God and the father of our land.

There are many other spirits and gods of the land, which may be worshipped by man. It is wrong for the Magi of the Good God to give these lesser deities worship, though it is wholly acceptable for lesser priests and members of their congregations to do so.

TAP Tap is the gods' death and may not be used lightly. Upon penalty of death for both instructor and student none may learn or teach Tap, excepting only the Magi, and it may only be used by order of a Karmanos on enemies and foreigners.

HIERARCHY The Leaders of our Church are the Hierophant and the House of the Magi: The One Hundred Ancient and Respected Vizirs. The Magi convey the Hierophant's divine prophecies to the holy church and to the lesser priests of the many gods. When one of the Magi dies then if a suitable candidate is available within the House of the Magi he will be raised to Magian status. If no suitable internal candidate is available then the Good God will reveal a vizir among the people, a vizir with the soul of a Magian, and the Magi will acclaim him as one of theirs. This is how it has always happened in the past, and how it shall always happen.

The lesser priests offer obeisance to the EthTelsen, the one-hundred lesser gods that we as righteous Carmanians may worship.

IMPORTANT PROPHETS, SAINTS & GODS Malkion the Lawgiver

Malkion was the first prophet. He brought the word of the Good God to the people and showed them how to survive during the great darkness. He taught how the duties of the people of each clan should be split into the three classes: protector, guide, and leader. He taught the Solace of the Body and hinted at the Sword Bridge.

Saint Xemela

Xemela, the Black Lady, mother of Hrestol. She took Death upon herself during the Dark Ages in order to save her people from the despair that came with the Longest Night.

Prince Hrestol

Hrestol was a prophet of the Good God who taught the Joy of the Heart.

Humakt

Humakt was the perfect warrior. He showed that Death could serve Life, and Horror could serve Honor, to bring the glory of the Good God to the whole world.

Arkat Gbajibane

Arkat was a demi-god, the son of Humakt. His greatest deed was to free the world from Gbaji the Deceiver. This perfect warrior realized that in the war against the Deceiver it is laudable to honor both Darkness and Light, to use both cruelty and honor, to combine chivalry and atrocity. Instead of denying the darkness within, he drew power from it and destroyed the Deceiver.

Talor, the Laughing Warrior

Talor, the Laughing Warrior, smote the Tarjinian Bull and laid a righteous curse upon the vile Telmori people, revealing them for the brute beasts that they were. He battled darkness and brought light. He was a prophet who taught the Song of Battle by which our hazars may achieve strength through joy.

The Eastfarers, the Holy Seven.

Syranthir and his Six Boon Companions led the ten-thousand eastwards out of hell, finally arriving in the Oronin River Valley.

Karmanos, the Last Prophet, the First Shah, The Lion of Brass

Karmanos founded Carmania and the Karmanos caste is named after him. He taught us how to walk the Bridge of Swords to paradise. His mystery cult is no more, but he inspires every ruler still.