Re: Mysticism, Codex #4

From: Argrath_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 14:42:53 -0500

In Glorantha Digest V2 #270, one finds the following exchange:

>Tim:
>>Union with God, the Void, Nature, the Force, Tao, Allah, etc can only be
>>achieved by extinguishing personality.
Nils:
>I'm by no means an expert on the subject, so if you can back that with
>some quotes or such I might buy it, but I thought that rather than
>extinguishing your personality you have to balance and harness it in
>order to succeed as a mystic.

Though Tim is couching his expression in terms most similar to certain strains of Buddhism, similar traditions exist in each of the major religions.  Check out Karen Armstrong's _A History of God_ for a very readable overview.  It's a best seller in this country, and she's a Brit, so maybe it's also available in continental Europe.