More Malkioni Credo!

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 12:26:18 +1300

Joerg Baumgartner:

>still picking nits with Peter:

I could have sworn that the Lutheran Church has no tradition of Devil's Advocate...

[Second Age definitions of Hrestoli]

JB>>>What do you think the people of Akem were before Hrestol's revelation

>>>reached them? And I don't know how universally accepted Hrestol's way
>>>was outside of Seshnela - those who did not accept it will have remained
>>>this way.

Me>> Huh? _When_ and _where_ was Hrestol martyred in your version of Glorantha?
>> I thought he was martyred in Sog City (in Fronela) thus converting any
>> Malkioni Exiles there to his relevations.

>Yeah, like Jesus Christ was martyred in Palestine and converted all
>the Jews?

If we are going to invoke 1st centry CE Christian comparsions, I like to think the more accurate parallel with Hrestol's Martyrdom is Paul's thesis that one didn't have to be clipped to enter the Kingdom of God (actually 'God's Imperial Rule' in the Greek) thus ensuring wildire conversions among the (male) gentility.

It depends on what you think the compostion of the Malkioni population of Fronela at the Dawn was. The Old Malkioni population (whom I believe were the majority) religion was gradually going to shit as the first signs of incipent aging began appearing after the I Fought We Won and the consequent legalism that began to diminish the chances of Solace ever being obtained. And then Hrestoli the Criminal is arrested in Sog City. His crimes against the Law are legion (Caste Crime etc). His defense is insane babblings about 'Joy of the Heart'. He is found guilty and executed, and then he is materially transported into Solace. Surely this is a clear sign to the Old Malkioni that their legalism is wrong? Rapid junking of the incredibly harsh legalistic doctrines should surely follow among the Old Malkioni (but not uniformly).

>Even though Joy of the Heat was quickly spread in Akem, I doubt it was
>universally accepted. Least of all by those Malkioni who had Immortality
>spell juvenation cast upon them.

Who has the Immortality Spell? The Brithini? The Old Malkioni? One was supposed to be immortal by adhering to the rules. Not by a mere spell!

>> The main mass of 'Old Malkioni' who had not heard of Hrestol during the
>> first age were the Sedalpists on the shores of Pamaltela.

>Hardly - Enkloso and Vralos were first settled by Westerners in the Second
>Age. The Sedalpists are Vralos-based, to my knowledge, the Patriarch of
>Nikosdros being their head of church.

I've already posted on Sandy's statement that the proto-Sedalpists were there before the dawn (I've checked this via Mcarthur's archives so I'm not hallucinating). As for the Sedalpists being Vralos based, that's the church of Nikosdros. Other similar churches may exist in Enkloso.

>> A proto-
>> Carmanian would have described himself as Hrestoli compared against these
>> folks _if_ they were aware that these folk [Old Malkioni] existed.

>He could have compared himself to the pre-Arkat henotheist Janubians,
>for instance, if you believe the History of Fronelan Malkionism.

Joerg, please stop picking nits! We are talking about the time of the God Learner Intervention which is 200 years _after_ Arkat, so the pre-Arkat Henotheist Janubians are long since _dead_! Secondly why did the pAHJians not accept the message of 'Joy of the Heart' the definition of Hrestolism? Thirdly surely these pAHJians main sin was henotheism by which the proto-Carmanians (if they were monotheists at the time) would have descibed the pAHJians as _pagans_ and themselves as _Malkioni)? And if the proto-Carmanians _weren't_ monotheist at the time the pAHJians still lived, then surely the proto-Carmanians _are_ the pAHJians!